It’s all in the detail!

Big jobs like this need to be broken down into smaller bite-sized pieces, and so we’ve been trying to work our way through the compartments one at a time where possible.

L516_Jan13_pic01

But its the small jobs that seem to occupy the time, and new timber mouldings needed to be manufactured to replace the old ones that were removed during re-wiring work.

At the Rowling workshop at Engadine, the wood machinery was set up to machine replacements, and the results are a good match.

L516_Jan13_pic02

Several lengths were machined.

L516_Jan13_pic03

Back at the shed, they receive a coat of undercoat.

L516_Jan13_pic04

We also undercoated the air vents at the same time. These were removed to access the cable chases through the roof line, and will be topped off with Manilla prior to re-fitting.

L516_Jan13_pic05

The roof was sanded prior before applying any undercoat.

L516_Jan13_pic06

In some places, this revealed the original red cedar under the paint work.

L516_Jan13_pic07

For a while there, the roof was looking like patch work, with light fittings dangling from the roof…

L516_Jan13_pic08
L516_Jan13_pic09

But patience pays off, and one by one, the lights are re fitted.

L516_Jan13_pic10

And then the shades were added.

L516_Jan13_pic11

One of the original berth light fittings were refurbished, and fitted in place to remind us of where we are heading…and what we’ve to look forward to.

L516_Jan13_pic12

From the outside, its also looking good.

L516_Jan13_pic13

But there is always more to be done.

SFN2182 Overhaul

During 2011 passenger car SFN2182 has been withdrawn from service and is being overhauled at Eveleigh.

Picture 079

Work has commenced repairing the roof area.

Picture 080

The malthoid covering on the roof was in need of repairs and the end timbers required replacement.

Picture 081

Whilst most of the roof will only require painting some sections had to be removed to repair rotten timbers in the roof.

Picture 082

It soon became obvious that this was not going to be a quick repair job. (Is it ever?)

Picture 084

What started off as a simple job soon became a much bigger than expected task.

Picture 085

The end sections of malthoid were removed to repair the wood work. All metal sections were treated to prevent rust.

Picture 086

A new wooden section will be manufactured and spliced into place before the malthoid material is reapplied.

Picture 089

New wooden mouldings were cut and shaped to the correct roof profile. These sections were primed and reapplied before the malthoid was replaced.

Picture 088

At the same time the removal of body rust began. This project will continue throughout the year and the car will receive a mechanical overhaul during this period. More updates throughout the year.

L516 Update

Whilst we have not been working on L516 in recent times we did take the opportunity to use up some left over paint from the HKB project.

Picture 022

The car has been in painted primer previously.

Picture 036

We decided to use up the remaining paint from the HKB project and painted one half of the car. Steve begins by painting around the timber strips.

Picture 037

Soon the colour begins to cover one end of the carriage.

Picture 038

The buffers were recently removed and replaced as the originals were bent.

Picture 041

Slowly the appearance of the carriage begins to change.

Picture 042

Picture 043

And now to paint around and above the windows.

Picture 045

Picture 047

Picture 051

And continuing along the side until the paint ran out.

Picture 048

We hope to return to working on this carriage during 2011.

Marker Lights

It is time to replace the marker lights on both ends of the HKB.

Picture 005

Each marker lamp was previously overhauled and was ready to be remounted onto the ends of the van.

Picture 006

The backing plates were unfortunately not in a good enough condition to reuse so new backing blocks and plates had to be manufactured.

Picture 013

Each backing block and plate was primed and mounted to the body.

Picture 015

Electric wired were pulled through the block ready to wire into the marker lamps.

Picture 010

Marker lamps were mounted and painted in the final colour.

Picture 054

An end view of the HKB with marker lamps reattached.

Picture 053

Time to Paint It

Another work day and another coat of paint (2nd) is applied to the HKB.

IMG_9453

After a light rub back the second coat of paint was applied to the body.

IMG_9426

The second coat shows the high level of gloss in the paint.

IMG_9464

The paint will now be left for several weeks to harden before a 3rd and final coat is applied.